The National Business and Technical Examinations Board has extended the registration period for the 2026 National Common Entrance Examination into technical colleges across the country to May 31, giving prospective candidates additional time to complete their enrollment.
The board also announced a shift in the date of the examination from June 6 to June 13, 2026, in what officials described as part of efforts to ensure wider participation and smooth coordination of the exercise nationwide.
The development was disclosed in a statement issued on Sunday in Benin City by NABTEB’s Assistant Director of Media and Protocol, Mr Uchechukwu Olisah.
According to the statement, the approval for the extension and postponement was granted by the Registrar and Chief Executive Officer of NABTEB, Aminu Mohammed.
Olisah explained that the directive was formally communicated through an internal memorandum signed by the Director of Examinations Administration, Ms Chigoziem Metu.
The board said the decision became necessary following appeals from stakeholders and the need to accommodate more candidates seeking admission into technical colleges across Nigeria.
Education stakeholders have welcomed the move, saying the extension would provide relief for parents, guardians and students who were yet to complete their registration due to logistical and financial challenges.
The National Common Entrance Examination into technical colleges is regarded as one of the key pathways for admission into federal and state technical institutions, which are designed to equip students with vocational, entrepreneurial and technical skills.
The examination is conducted annually to select qualified candidates for admission into technical colleges that specialise in trades, engineering, construction, business studies, information technology and other vocational programmes.
Officials within the education sector say technical education has become increasingly important as Nigeria seeks to strengthen skills acquisition, reduce youth unemployment and promote industrial development.
Over the years, government agencies and education experts have repeatedly called for greater investment in technical and vocational education, arguing that the country needs more skilled manpower to drive economic growth and innovation.
The latest extension by NABTEB is expected to increase participation, particularly among candidates from rural communities and underserved areas who may have faced difficulties meeting the earlier deadline.
A senior education official familiar with the process explained that the board considered reports from registration centres across the country before approving the adjustment.
According to the official, several centres experienced delays linked to documentation issues, network challenges and late awareness among parents and students.
“The extension is meant to ensure that no qualified candidate is denied the opportunity to participate because of avoidable registration difficulties,” the source stated.
Parents and school administrators have also praised the decision, describing it as timely and considerate.
A principal of a government technical school in Edo State noted that many students interested in technical education were still processing their registration as of last week.
He said the additional days would enable schools to mobilise more candidates and complete pending documentation.
“This extension will help many families. Some parents were struggling to meet the deadline because of economic challenges and delays in obtaining required materials,” the principal explained.
Education advocates also argued that the postponement of the examination date would allow candidates more time to prepare adequately.
Some students who spoke to reporters expressed relief over the development, saying the extra week would help them revise more effectively ahead of the examination.
One candidate in Benin City said he had been worried about completing his registration on time due to difficulties accessing a registration centre.
“With this extension, I now have enough time to finish my registration and prepare properly for the examination,” he said.
The board assured candidates and parents that all necessary arrangements were being put in place to ensure a smooth and credible examination process on the new date.
NABTEB further urged prospective candidates who were yet to register to take advantage of the extension period, warning that no further postponement may be granted after May 31.
Stakeholders in the education sector believe the renewed attention being given to technical education could help reshape perceptions about vocational learning in Nigeria.
For decades, many technical colleges suffered declining enrollment as students and parents focused more on conventional academic pathways.
However, growing unemployment and increased demand for practical skills have gradually renewed interest in vocational and technical education across the country.
Experts say strengthening technical colleges could play a major role in producing artisans, technicians, engineers and entrepreneurs needed in critical sectors of the economy.
They also stressed the need for sustained government investment in infrastructure, equipment, teacher training and curriculum development to improve the quality of technical education nationwide.
As the new registration deadline approaches, NABTEB officials say they are optimistic that more students will take advantage of the opportunity to pursue technical and vocational careers capable of contributing to national development and economic transformation.








