CHSR demands justice over killing of 4 traders in Lagos market clash

August 29, 2025
6 views

 

By Adekunle Williams

The Centre for Human and Socio-Economic Rights (CHSR) has condemned the killings of four traders at Owode Onirin Motor Spare Parts Market, Lagos, demanding justice for the victims.

 

CHSR President, Mr Alex Omotehinse, described the incident as a “barbaric massacre” during a news conference held on Friday in Lagos.

 

The victims’ families carried placards reading: ‘Killers of Owode traders must be brought to book, IGP withdraw officer from land grabber’.

 

A violent clash on Wednesday between traders and suspected land grabbers in Owode Onirin, Lagos State, left three people dead and a police officer critically injured.

 

According to police spokesman Benjamin Hundeyin, a combined team from Operations, Mobile Force, Rapid Response Squad, Tactical Squads, and State CID was deployed to quell the violence.

 

The Lagos State Police Command has declared one suspect, Abiodun Ariori, CEO of Prosperous Ariori Golden Venture Limited, wanted in connection with the deadly clash.

 

The altercation also caused road blockages and disrupted commercial activities in the area.

 

Omotehinse said CHSR was deeply outraged by the killings, violence, and destruction recently unleashed on the Owode Onirin Motor Spare Parts Market in Lagos.

 

He said the families of the deceased were demanding full compensation, medical support for injured traders, and permanent security presence to protect the market from future attacks.

 

“On Wednesday, armed thugs and some hired policemen allegedly mobilised by a notorious land grabber stormed the market, killing four traders and leaving many others critically injured.

 

“This tragedy followed the earlier illegal demolition of over 1,000 shops at the market, despite the matter being sub judice at the Lagos High Court,” Omotehinse said.

 

He said the land grabber allegedly chose violence and intimidation, hiding under state protection to terrorise hardworking citizens instead of allowing the legal process to run its course.

 

Omotehinse recalled that traders had written letters, petitions, and SOS appeals to Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu and the Lagos State Assembly, but their pleas were allegedly ignored.

 

He said the silence and inaction of state institutions emboldened land grabbers, paving the way for this bloodshed.

 

The president alleged that four police officers were brought into Lagos by the land grabber to aid thugs in unleashing terror on the traders.

 

He urged the Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun and Lagos Commissioner of Police, Moshood Jimoh, not to allow the matter be swept under the carpet.

 

Omotehinse demanded the immediate arrest and prosecution of the land grabber for murder, unlawful demolition, and terrorism against Owode Onirin traders.

 

He also demanded public disclosure of the identities of the four police officers allegedly involved, with investigation, prosecution, and dismissal if found guilty.

 

Omotehinse appealed to security agencies not to wait until citizens were massacred before taking action.

 

One victim’s brother, Mr Arowojobe Adewale, said his sibling, Mr Adebayo Adewale, was murdered during Wednesday’s attack at the market.

 

He narrated that Adebayo left to buy food when gunshots erupted. Moments later, he was told his brother had been shot.

 

Rushing to the scene, Adewale said he found Adebayo lifeless before he could secure help to take him to hospital.

 

Calling for justice, Adewale urged Governor Sanwo-Olu to intervene, stressing that those behind the killings must not go unpunished.

Follow us on all social media platforms @dailyquery for news and analyses around the globe.

Don't Miss