Uromi killings: Dep Senate President visits victims’ families in Kano, donates N16 million

April 3, 2025
7 views

 

Deputy President of the Senate, Senator Barau I Jibrin, on Wednesday – earlier today visited Bunkure LGA of Kano State to sympathise with the families of the 16 travellers who were killed in Uromi, Esan North East LGA of Edo State.

The Deputy President met the families of the victims, who hailed from Bunkure, Kibiya, Rano and Garko LGAs, at the At-Taqwa Mosque in the Sabon Fegi area of the Bunkure LGA.

Senator Barau was joined by the Minister of State of Housing and Urban Development, Hon Yusuf Abdullahi Ata, the Managing Director of the North West Development Commission (NWDC),Abdullahi Shehu Ma’aji, and other dignitaries.

Senator Barau reassured the families of the deceased hunters that the perpetrators would be brought to book.

He announced the donation of N1m to each of the families of the 16 deceased hunters, totalling N16m.

The Deputy President said he would sponsor a motion on the matter when the Senate resumes later this month.

“I was worried when the incident happened. I had to call the State Governor, security agencies and all stakeholders involved. They swung into action, and so far, apart from the 14 people who have been arrested, two more suspects have been nabbed. The state Governor, who visited my house in Abuja, has assured me that the state government will support you.

“We will not take it lightly. We will ensure that the culprits are brought to book and face the wrath of the law,” he said.

Speaking on behalf of the families, the Chief Imam of the area, Sheikh Zainul Abidina Auwal, thanked Senator Barau for his efforts at ensuring justice and described him as the leader needed for the country’s development.

 

 

Don't Miss